Sunday, July 22, 2012

Too Soon and It Is All Over

It seems like just yesterday when I was putzing around
the house trying to finish packing.

In that time my guineas have had keets,


one of my Australorp hens will have had chicks,
 

and I will have grown so much.
(Literally and figuratively.  Gee thanks Tom, Becky and Ben)

We boarded our trusty tour bus at six o'early yesterday morning.
Normally this would be sleeping in, but when staying up working
on one's journal for repeated nights in a row ......

Once again our trusty bus driver was Ernie Griffiths.

We headed for The Mammoth Site in Hot Springs.


Ben and I kind of ditched the tour group
and hung back to watch this woman.
 
 She was so very nice and explained
that she was chasing a theory she'd
developed based in a rock that
she had found in the lower left hand corner
of her work area.  She also uncovered the
large bones that were being protected.

After the tour we had the opportunity to browse around the
exhibit hall and visit the labs.  

Since I had already read every possible word in every exhibit 
with Draven and the Germans (kind of sounds like a rock band), 
I opted to go out in search of the elusive South Dakota cache.

It still eluded me.
All I found were turkey vultures.


 There was also a lot of muggle activity
 that was making it much more difficult.

Yeah, that's it.  I'll blame it on the muggles.

I am proud to announce that I correctly 
identified a member of the Loyal Order of the Water Buffalo.

 
 This guy had a part in Dances With Wolves.
He also takes part in Civil War re-enactments.
Bet his regiment would pay big bucks for this picture!

Drove on to Custer, but couldn't actually get into Custer
because of the forest fire so we had to approach it from another direction.








I was frantically scrambling to get a picture of 
the helicopter in this field 
 

only to discover that there were 8 or 10 of them.
 


We continued through Custer.

I could easily go for a bunch of greenhouses in my backyard!
 


I wouldn't have minded stopping here ....



 We drove past Crazy Horse, stopping long enough
for a photo opportunity.


Then it was on to Wade's Gold Mill.
 
 I've spent a lot of time in the Hills and I 
had never heard of this place.

We were given a tour and then panned for gold.


It isn't as easy as it looks.

After touring the gold mine in Lead, 
 

we checked out the night life in Deadwood.

If teaching doesn't work out .... 


I could run the "Miss T's Sweet Treats" brothel.

A group of us opted to go to the cemetery 
 
  
but after it began to rain, only the strongest
choose to go.

After nearly dying on the way up the 136 metal steps,
I was rewarded with a friendship cemented by hysterical laughter.

During the course of this week, I discovered that most
of my GEON-mates don't know the meaning of phallic.

Shari does.  She had no trouble whatsoever
when I pointed out the phallic tombstone.


Upon closer investigation, Shari
noted this:


We were soaked to the skin by the time we got back downtown,
so we did the only logical thing to do.  We ate.
Then we went and bought matching t-shirts.
 
I was lucky to be part of two GEON groups.
If you are a teacher in Nebraska and are interested, please leave
a comment and I will make sure that you get all the necessary information.
 
It is well worth the time!
 

No comments: