Thursday, January 22, 2009

Winter time blues

I have been missing for several days, weeks, okay not quite a month.
We survived the holidays and jumped into the new year.

But as happens every new year, comes a round of sickness.
I guess the kids play so much with all their Christmas goodies, stay
up late at night and sleep in every morning, that going back to school is just
too much for them! Someone always comes down with the flu or a cold.
I think it's safe to say after 12 days, we are all back to school and work.

Bummer on the work part. I was really hoping that lottery ticket would
finally pay off and I could spend my days playing in my new green house.


http://www.geodesic-greenhouse-kits.com/

But this is the real world, and I'm back to the 8-5 routine every day,
and I don't have a new green house. But I can dream.
Wouldn't it be fun to play in the dirt all day,
all in the name of growing your veggies year round!

This is the time of year when I really have winter fever (even though it was 67 degrees here yesterday).

It still gets dark at 5:30, it's cold, windy, and you have to
scrape your windows most mornings.
I really long for spring, the smell of fresh turned dirt,
budding of the leaves, and spring flowers sprouting.
I pour over my garden catalogs every night and was so
excited when I found a tree I have been searching for since my youth.

A mulberry tree!

Grandma Fritzler had a huge one growing in her yard.

Our favorite past time at Granny's house, was raiding the mulberry tree. For a short six months, when we farmed up north, I had one growing in my yard. Life was good.

So it's time I get a couple of them ordered, and start picking the perfect spot to plant them.

I'm also toying with the idea of a couple of peach trees.

It's only 10 short days until the ground hog tells us, if spring is around the corner.



No comments: