Saturday, October 4, 2008

Expensive Oreos

This year I have been taking my lunch to school each day instead of eating the nutritious meal provided by the cafeteria.  I have a sweet tooth so I've been taking cookies for dessert each day.  I am especially fond of Oreos and have tried the banana split and peanut butter varieties.  They are both good.  So are the mint Oreos, but my favorites are the chocolate creme Oreos.
We bought a package and had eaten about half of it.  
Sometime during the night on Thursday, 
our little bird dog, Tipper,
got into the bag and ate the remaining cookies.
By morning he was having tremors.  It didn't take a rocket scientist to see the torn bag and surmise what he had done so we called the vet and he told us to bring him right out.
Mardell was subbing for me as I had a seminar on gifted students that day, so I took him out before I went to the seminar.  I also dropped Benny off at the town house.  It seems that our lovable poodle loves to charge the school bus.  He can scale a six foot fence so we don't have a way to contain him unless we close the pet door.  The others tend to revolt when we do that.  So we've been taking him into town and then getting him at the end of the day.  It works and he thinks he's special because he gets to go for a ride.

After my seminar was over, I went back out to school to finish up my day.  At about 5:00 we went out to the vet clinic to see our little guy.  They had him on an IV and had been giving him valium to control his heart and tremors.  They had also been giving him charcoal to absorb what was left of the chocolate.  He'd been throwing up the charcoal so he looked like something out of a horror movie, but he wagged his tail and was happy to see us.  Both Kirsten and Paul were guardedly optimistic that he would pull through.

We went to get Benny only to discover that he had jumped through the screen and was gone.  He is such a putz.  We drove to the old office where Mardell worked before they moved to our old store.  He wasn't there so we went over to our building to see if he happened to be there.  He wasn't there either.  The Humane Society was closed by this point, so we went to the police station to see if he had been picked up.  He had been spotted at 20th and Broadway, but the responding officers couldn't catch him so we knew that he was in the area.  We drove around looking for him until about 11:30 and finally called it a night.  The next morning we were in town at 4:00 looking again.  Still nothing.  I had to go to work, so Mardell got stuck waiting until 9:00 to contact the Humane Society.
She found him there and bailed him out of jail.  He had been hit by a car, but didn't seem any worse for the wear.  A good samaritan had seen him get hit and had taken him in.  He has road rash on the inside of one leg, but is okay otherwise.

Then she went out to visit Tipper.  He had been pretty good at midnight and was sitting up waiting for them at 7:00 when they arrived.  He was happy to see her, but had taken a turn for the worse.  Unfortunately he didn't make it through the day.
That was probably the most expensive bag of Oreos I've ever purchased!
This is also why there was no Flashback Friday this week.
It was Krista's birthday so I had hoped to feature her, but I didn't get it finished.
She's getting a rain check, because I won't be able to do it this week either.  We have parent-teacher conferences and I'm taking off for Seward on Friday.
Hopefully, I'll get back to posting regularly the following week.


Sue said...

This is so sad - I am so sorry.

SisterTwo said...

I'm so sorry about your dog(s). I thought I asked you how he was when I talked to you on the phone, but I must have been in another world. I didn't realize he didn't make it. So sorry! Hope that Benny is recovering okay as well. Just be prepared as trouble comes in three and you are only at two.