Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Goats and Figs







 Our neighbor's goats have been trying to attack our garden



so we built a little scarecrow. 
We were kind of lacking in the scaregoat wardrobe department, so i sacrificed my favorite pair of jeans.



One of the first things to bloom were the blackberries. (At least that's what they call them in California. These are nothing like the blackberries we grew in our garden in Nebraska. These are what I would call black raspberries. But no one here knows what I'm talking about when I say that.)


Another thing that was blooming was our fig tree.

We had a little pile of them building up, but I didn't really know what to do with them.
Aside from the occasional fig newton, I don't have a lot of experience with figs.


So I googled around and found this recipe at http://justgetfloury.blogspot.com/2008/02/i-figgin-love-chocolate.html



First, we peeled them.



Then, we broke out the chocolate



and some butter,


a little brown sugar,


and vanilla.



We melted the butter and the chocolate chips.




Added the brown sugar

and melted it until it was smooth.


We added a little flour,


some cocoa powder,


(It still tastes terrible, just like the last time he tried it.)






The kids took turns cracking the eggs






we picked out the shells, threw in the other ingredients, 


threw it in the oven 


and Voila' , Super Figgy Brownies!





4 comments:

SisterTwo said...

I'm impressed at the cooking skills of your children. They could be the next Bobby Flay or Rachel Ray. Maybe you will get some more suggestions on what to do with figs.

SisterTwo said...

P.S. I'm jealous of your black berries! I would eat them any day over the ones that dad grew in the garden!

Sue said...

That is one impressive scare crow - is it working?? Love the pictures of the kids - keep them coming. How did you like the figgy brownies. I think I would like California just fine.

nicki said...

aunt sue, I think you would looove it! You can take the amtrak and we'll pick you up. I heard that you are getting to be an experienced road tripper now!