Friday, May 29, 2009

Perfect Day

Today was as close to a perfect day as I could hope to get.


I slept in until 7:00 and then I got up and ate a bowl of cereal while I watched the Early Show.  Then I went out and planted a bed of asparagus and a bed of strawberries.  I cleared out my third square foot bed and planted my cherry tomatoes.  When I did that, I discovered yet another renegade peony plant.  It's almost scary how many are coming up.

I watered everything that I planted last night from our second Ingrid/Rick run.  We had another complete load.  I haven't hardly spent anything at all at greenhouses this year!
I came inside and debated whether I wanted to take a shower or a nap.
The water closet won out.  After that, I took a long walk with Annie.
Tried to talk Pudge into going with me, but as soon as I mentioned exercise, she ran and hid.  Let's just say that Pudge is aptly named.   Of course, I don't have a lot of room to talk.  So I'll stop.

 
It's always interesting what you might find when you follow the well worn dog trails.

I found a thicket of currants.  Dad would be pleased.
His original plant that he gave me has spread and spread.

Our tree that blew over last September in that fierce wind storm liveth.
It lieth down, but it liveths.

Hmmm .... choices.  I think I'll take the path less traveled.

  
The cat tails are greening up nicely.
  
More Russian Olive trees have sprouted.
One of my colleagues actually paid money for one of these this year.
Can you believe that?!!


After my walk, we went to town and had lunch at Culver's.
If you haven't tried their Angus Philly Cheese Steak sandwich, you must!

I had one for supper last night and then again for lunch. 
They are that good.


After lunch, Mardell dropped me off at the ESU for my first class.
I am taking 6 hours of curriculum development.  Vicki is taking it as well.

After class Vicki dropped me off at the sewing studio 
(old store/warehouse/old Safe Harbor --- sewing studio sounds better).
We are taking the Eleanor Burns' Day and Night class at Prairie Pines.  
We pressed our material for tomorrow's 
quilt class and got our strips cut out.

  We had to pick two contrasting fabrics.  Mardell chose a gorgeous blue batik and dark brown for her two fabrics.  I am using a piece that I had originally purchased as the backing for my first quilt.  I ended up not using it --- I don't even remember now why I didn't use it.
  It's a swirl of orange shades, with a bit of red and some cream.  
My contrast fabric is cream colored.  


After that we endured the Evil Empire.  Last week we bought fresh blackberries for $1.50 and we keep hoping to run across such a good deal again.  No such luck today. 

We got our beastie food and then came home.

After we got home, I played pyromaniac and burned tumbleweeds.

Not that we need to or anything!

It's very wet so they burned slowly.

If I really worked at it I could get a decent flame going.

Tumbleweeds are very dense and cause an intense short-lived flame.

But I kept plugging away at it.

Doesn't look like much, but it took two hours to burn this strip.

I also have a few spots burned on the other side of the fence, but there is still lots left to do.

Can you imagine what would happen if somebody tossed a cigarette butt into this mass?

No comments: